Saturday 22 October 2011

Where have I been??

Morning everyone!

It's quiet at the shop this morning but will be another scene of chaos when I get home so... am posting while I have a minute!

Where have I been?  Well, having the most wonderful week of my life!  The sani-drain (sewage) backed up into the basement on the 14th of October.  Good thing I heard it when I let all the dogs out at 5:50 a.m. or it would have been a lot worse!  Of course I went into battle mode... hiked my nightie, took off my socks and waded into the murky water looking for anything to make a dam.  Whew!  My improvised dam worked but not well enough!  My damming skills are so fantastic that I should look for work in Holland! 

Thank goodness for insurance and reno crews!!  The restoration crew arrived around 8:30 a.m. and immediately went to work.  This is where it gets sort of funny!  Due to the fact that this is a sewage backup... the crew had to wear white hazmat suits and respirators.  We live on a busy street and people driving by were looking at them like a murder was committed at our place..yes, they clean that up too!  Carpeting, lino, the vanity and other things were tossed.  The area was tarped off and huge fans and dehumidifiers went all weekend... noisy as heck.  Everything was dry by Monday afternoon.  Whew!

It took two visits with different equipment to figure out where the blockage was.  Finally!  We could have showers!  You have no idea how you miss your throne until it's gone!

I brought home samples of carpet and lino yesterday and am returning them today.  Then this morning.... I needed something downstairs before heading to the shop and eegads!!!  More water and this time it's even further into the room and looks like more walls will have to come out.  Out came the cleaned rags (the restoration crew sanitised them for me) and up went my dams.  There was more water this time and it's now hitting the laminate floor going up the stairs, into the office carpet and... I did what I could and left before I could get sick.

I'm enjoying my time typing this out because it keeps my mind off my crappy day.  Sorry about the novel I'm producing!

Once my life gets under control again I'll post the cards that I've done the past two weeks.  Some are pretty kewl (I think) and some are iffy but kewl.

I'll do an update in a day or so.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

Hugs,
Sheree

6 comments:

Linda Wescott said...

What an 'interesting' time you are having....I hope it gets real boring for you soon lol. You must have been pulling your hair out. Hope it's all sorted, and you have no further problems. Keep your chin up girl. Hugs lin

NancyD said...

Sounds like you need a hug, Sheree! A BIG one! Wish I was there to give it. NancyD

Sherri said...

Oh you poor thing! What a horrible thing you are going through. If I lived near you, I'd come to help. Since I don't, I'll just send you happy thoughts & add you to my prayers. Hang in there!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

oh no, Sherree, how absolutely horrid - you say nothing about the fragrance of the blockage?? but when the sewer backed up at our place when we had visitors once (yes a son who stuffed loo paper like crazy down it may have helped clog it, but did have tree roots)- anyway it was the smell that was the knock out. Just as well you have basements we dont have them over here and so the house is the outlet..
However I really pray the solution is found ASAP and no-one including your dear self gets sick from it. Love and heartfelt prayer, Shaz in oz.x

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Wow! What a mess! Sure hope you don't have any more flooding. Who needs that kind of excitement, right?
I recently joined the Outlawz & have become your newest follower. I would love for you to visit my blog Sharrahug’s Sweet Blessings
Have a wonderful day!
Huggies ~
Sharron♥

Sarn said...

Oh my goodness . . . how unimaginably awful. Hope all sorted now x